Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Reconnected to the internet!

Power's out (a regular thing here), so I might as well write a blog post!

So after my plane landed yesterday I spent about an hour getting a visa and getting my baggage! Then, after waiting outside Kilimanjaro International Airport (don't let the name fool you, it's just one tiny building hahaha), Robert and Gilbert arrived and we started towards Arusha! It was about an hour journey.

When I arrived the first thing I noticed was how massive the house is! It's absolutely huge. Like, about 3-4 times the size of my house back home. I was greeted by Mama Chilala, who is the mother of the home. She has 4 kids! Steve is my age, the second oldest is at boarding school I believe, Joycelyn is this nice (and loud) 4 year old girl and the very youngest daughter is only 9 months old!

The rest of the day was nothing exciting, I unpacked and slept and when I woke up, the power was out! George was in the living room watching Breaking Bad on his laptop and Belle was reading I think. They're both very nice. George (from London) is my roommate, and he's doing microfinance too! He's also 34...so there's quite an age gap hahah. Belle (from Holland) is doing medicine and she's been here for 8 or 9 weeks now! Dinner was chicken and cabbage, and then I went back to sleep!

Today was my orientation! Michael came and picked me up at about 8:30 and showed me how to get to the office. So! The local transport, the dala dala...they're all just minivans rigged to seat 16 plus a driver! They're cramped to say the least...and the owners push and shove each other to try and get more passengers.

Anyway he showed me around town, which isn't very big, and I've got a new phone and sim card now!

Tonight we're going out to a Mexican place... I really didn't expect to be eating Mexican food here... Oh well! Hopefully it's good!

If you made it this far then congratulations! I'll try and make my future posts shorter and include pictures!

Wish me luck for the first day of work tomorrow!

P.S. oh and the power still isn't back

1 comment: