Pages

Monday, December 11, 2017

No lights or sirens is much more scary than lights and sirens

This past weekend was pretty quiet…it just made me miss Australia more to be honest. I didn’t get much done other than I finished modifying some templates for the microfinance project, and had some nice sleeps hahahaha. Today was much the same really! Not much happened!

This morning I got to the office nice and early, in case I had to rewrite my presentation from last week, since it’s not the wisest idea to rely on the fact that your presentation posters will still be around from day to day hahaha. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise that it was still there! So, I just got to relax and work on redesigning some more templates! I’ve been working on the interview templates that Projects Abroad uses. The issue was that it was all over the place, and different interviews had their answers in different formats and in different places, and it was overall very difficult to understand. So, I redesigned the first interview template last week so that it can’t be edited anywhere except in the designated slots for the women’s answers, unless you deliberately unlock the document in order to edit the questions…I thought it might just be a bit of a waste of time, something to fill in my spare time, but this morning Elizabeth told me that it was so good she wanted me to do the other interview templates like it too! So that’s what I spent my morning doing!

I also discovered this morning (a little bit of backstory here – some of the volunteers went on safari this past weekend, like Yuta and Cleo) that Marjolein went on safari, too, but…like…not with the other Projects Abroad people who went…they only discovered this because when Cleo signed in to one of the parks in the visitor’s book, she noticed that Marjolein’s name was already in there, for THAT day. Apparently throughout the day they saw her a couple of times, and she just said hi and continued on her way. She was on her own with her own safari driver…no one else. And the thing is, she knew that there were other people going, since she told them to have fun on the safari on the weekend! Very strange…oh well!

Um what else happened…not much…then we left to go to the Monday morning group, Aged Sunshine. I got to deliver my presentation on good customer service! Rachelle told me that she liked translating this presentation because it’s simple. There’s no difficult words or anything, it’s just straightforward hahahaha. It was well received! A couple of the women had some questions about specific situations, but nothing too difficult! Then, immediately afterwards, Cleo did a cooking lesson on how to cook an apple cake…which, I won’t lie…was really yummy…I loved it. HAHAHAHA except without an oven to bake it in, we had to make do. The women got a massive metal bowl, put it on top of some hot coals, and covered the top. I didn’t understand why, until they put the bowl containing the cake mix inside the bigger bowl. They had essentially made a tiny oven! It was really clever! But yeah, despite the lack of any measuring implements, the possible lack of clean instruments, and just all-round questionable-ness…it turned out to be delicious and light and fluffy! I wish I’d taken some pictures! I didn’t take many today unfortunately.

So right after the whole cake had been devoured, we all piled into a taxi (not a minivan today, just a standard sedan-sized car, and also not with our regular driver, Walter) and headed back to the office…except we didn’t make it to the office. Out of all the reasons not to make it to the office, I thought it would be the driver’s use of 4th gear to take off from lights…or the deafening lack of brake pads on the rear brakes…but no…it was plain clothes cops. If you ever get pulled over by plain clothes cops in Tanzania, you’ll understand just how scary it is when you don’t know what’s going on. Cleo and I both noticed when the driver went around a car in the middle of an intersection, but we didn’t think anything of it really. About 100 metres down the road, this black 4WD sped up behind us (I could hear their engine roaring), swerved out, drove past, and swerved back in front of us again, before jamming on their breaks and coming to a screeching stop. The guy in the passenger side then leaned out his window with a tiny (like maybe A8 size…if that’s a thing…it was pocket sized) red book in his hand. Then both guys waved us over to the side of the road, and the driver complied. At this point, Yuta, Cleo and I were all a little worried because we had no idea what was happening, just that two big guys in a black 4WD had ordered us to pull over without giving us a choice (no sirens or lights or anything). The driver took the red book from one of them, and opened it up, and I saw that it said “Inspectore ______” with some name in there, so I thought “I hope these guys are really cops, and at least not too corrupt” hahahahah. Anyway, there was some heated discussion, after which both the cops went back to their car behind us. Rachelle then explained what had happened to us. The driver took off, and I immediately said to Cleo “I’m pretty sure those cops still have his license”…anyway for the next few minutes we didn’t think anything of it and brushed it off…until the black 4WD came up, swerved in front of us again and yelled at the driver! My immediate thought was “Ugh what is it this time”, but I asked Rachelle and she told us that the cops said that they thought our driver had tried to escape! So, I was right! They DID still have his license. (which means he was just an idiot and didn’t realise) They told him to follow them to the police station…at which point I got really worried, since I try to stay out of police stations at the best of times in Australia, let alone in Tanzania, where the police force’s integrity is somewhat questionable…After about 30 seconds of driving, the driver finally stopped to let us out…he was going to take us all the way to police station! Anyway, we walked the rest of the way back to the office which was only like 5 to 10 minutes of walking. So THAT was the eventful part of the day, thank god…

Then we had lunch at Lenana which was uneventful…I didn’t wear my drink this time…which is good! Then we headed back out to the afternoon group, Chem Chem. While Yuta did the bookkeeping and Marjolein did her presentation on saving, Cleo, Rachelle, and I all went on a business visit to Lightness’ business. She sells second-hand clothes. Despite her somewhat irrepressible enthusiasm for clothes (and her constantly trying to sell everything in her store to either Cleo or me), she suffered a lot from tunnel vision in terms of running her business. Her sights were set on the final loan offered by the microfinance (which is 1,000,000Tsh) to allow her to move her business into town. The issue is, her current business is far from good and requires a lot of work first. Additionally, rent for a shop in town is about 400,000Tsh per month, meaning that loan could barely support her for one month once she outfitted the shop and paid rent…so I tried to explain to her that that’s not a good goal for the use of the final loan, but she was very intent on it. I discovered that she used the entire first loan she got (100,000Tsh) to buy ONE pair of shoes to sell…I don’t know what she’s used all the subsequent loans for…but I don’t think it’s capital investment. It was a really quite a shame to see someone so enthusiastic, with such an excellent support structure behind her, but who just couldn’t get how to run a successful business. I’ll get to see her again next week so maybe I can work with Cleo to develop a business plan for her or something…otherwise her shop (which is on a back road somewhere) will definitely die after the final loan is given to her.

Anyway, that was about it. I took some pictures of the miniature field where the Chem Chem group meets!



Otherwise, that was it. I came home…and now I’m just relaxing. There’s power! So, I’m pretty happy. It’s also now only a week until I finish up at Projects Abroad! I’m looking forward to coming home! I can’t wait to see the “Welcome to Melbourne” sign at the airport hahahha.


Anyway, as always, thanks for reading! And I’ll see you next time!

1 comment: